Thursday, November 30, 2006

So You Wanna Be a Rock n'Roll Star...


Bow down before the one you serve....I am a rock god. Alright, so I'm actually a way-too-f'in-old video game geek posing as a rock god. But damn if it don't feel how I pictured it.

I'm talking, of course, about the ultimate Playstation 2 game, Guitar Hero 2. I discovered it yesterday...and by 10pm I was immortal. For those who haven't seen this life-altering experience yet, GH2 makes you a rock star playing lead guitar to some of the classic rock songs of all time. Using a guitar controller instead of the usual handheld, you try to keep up with the stage band by blazing your fingers up and down the fretboard while strumming along at the precise moment the actual note in the song is played. Fun? Fuckin'-A right it is!

I can seriously see this becoming an addition. The rush of receiving a standing ovation after blistering through Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" or Cheap Trick's "Surrender" is a feeling this musically-inept air guitar hero has long dreamed of. It's easy enough at the early stages to raise the adrenaline of even the most novice gamer. At the harder levels, of which I'm nowhere near good enough to complete, it gets downright frantic. But the fun is in the practice. And you won't sleep until the crowd tells you that you can. Trust me on this one. Sleep is for the weak. You'll wanna rock and roll all night, and party every day.

Do yourself a favor...pick this thing up, strap on that cherry Gibson SG gee-tar, and rock, rock, til ya drop. Me? I gotta go... I've got groupies waiting.

No comments: