Monday, February 05, 2007

The Meaning of Life and Matthew McConaughey

Pompous Ass that I am, I had high and mighty goals for this here spew of literary diarreha when it was founded oh-so-far-back in 2006. I pledged to contribute to the online community with honest, intellectual, thought-provoking discussion on relevant topics. But here I am, just another bozo spouting dick & fart jokes.

Lately however, I've been giving a lot of thought to the subjects of the pursuit of happiness and the ol' "what's it all about?" theorizing. Not from a position of being unsatisfied. Quite the contrary actually. Life is actually pretty frickin' good. Sure, I want more. Who doesn't? Could I use a bigger house, a faster car, teeth grills....hell yeah I could! But ya know what people? (Like there's anyone out there reading this trash) I've got my needs met. And then some. For so long it was the house and the car that were the carrot at the end of the string for me. Now I realize that stuff really isn't important. (Some grills would be badass though.)

The clichés are too many to mention....fake it till you make it...love the one you're with....you can't always get what you want but if you try real hard, you just might find you get what you need. Simplify things, people. It's way too easy to walk around this planet hating yourself, your situation, your life in general. It's hard to be happy. You have to actually try to make it happen. Cuz if you don't, who gonna do it for ya? There. Another cliché.

I heard a quote recently from Matthew McConaughey, belive it or not, that rang true with me. Holy fuck, I'm quoting Matthew McConaughey. Not exactly who I pictured as the voice of wisdom for my generation. Anyways...he said that he tries to make today a great day. No long-term pressures. Just today. Then tomorrow. Then string a few great days together and before you know it you have a great week. String together four of those and you've got yourself a great month. 12 of those...well, you get the idea.

Is it really that simple? Yeah, kinda. Stop lamenting what you don't have...what's missing and enjoy what's right in front of you. Do it today. Then do it again. See if it sticks.

Maybe Matt is the voice of our generation. Ask yourself...would this guy steer you wrong? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh..........

1 comment:

RedDaisy said...

"You complete me..." and thanks for not slamming me.